Mathematics is the key to understanding and exploring the world. Everything from iPhones to satellites depends on mathematics to make it work. For example, anything on a secure website such as a bank or eBay account depends on prime numbers to keep this information safe.
Mathematics is also fundamental to planning and carrying out your daily life:
- How much interest will I get on my savings in that account?
- Which is the best value option in the supermarket?
- Have they over-charged me at the restaurant?
On top of that, mathematics is beautiful:
- Look at the work of M. C. Escher, the famous Dutch artist who drew intricate tessellations and mind-bending optical illusions.
- Look at the symmetry in the art and architecture of the Islamic world.
- Look at the mathematical patterns in nature from sea shells to sunflowers.
We are a well-resourced and fully-staffed department of maths specialists who will be able to support students of all abilities throughout their time with us. We have a dedicated computer room and all our maths classrooms are fitted with interactive white boards.
Who Works in the Maths Department?
- Simon Little – Head of Department
- Martin Armstrong - KS3 Second in Department
- Andrew Osborne - KS4 Second in Department
- Mark Ashton - Teacher of Maths
- Viv Ross - Teacher of Maths
- Gemma Whiteoak - Teacher of Maths