Art is an outstanding department at Morton Academy. It allows our students explore a wide range of materials, develop ideas and learn about the work of artists and craftspeople.

We have well-equipped open plan art rooms where we are proud to display so much of our students’ excellent work.

Who works in the Art Department?

Scott Winstanley – Head of Expressive Arts

Lisa Bewley – Vice Principal and Teacher of Art

Jennifer Boyd - Teacher of Art

Zoe Charlton – PT Art Technician

Julie Charlton – PT Art Technician

At Key Stage 3, students will study a range of genres, movements and artists such as Picasso, Steam-Punk and Cumbria’s very own Percy Kelly. In addition to this we also look to other cultures such as Aboriginal Art and African Art. Students work in sketchbooks to develop, experiment and plan their own ideas as a response to the theme. Pupils then work towards a larger scale final outcome for each project.

Students will develop technical skills in drawing, painting, printmaking and sculpture all in preparation for the GCSE art course.

During the GCSE course students will learn how to communicate ideas using 2D and 3D art materials. Building on the skills learnt at Key Stage 3, pupils are guided and encouraged to produce high quality artworks that reflect their own ideas.

The course is split into two projects, including an externally set assignment and final exhibition.

Project 1 – Topics offered are: Portraiture, Still Life, Natural Forms and Animals in Art.

Project 2 – Externally set Examination Assignment

60% of the GCSE grade is assessed through coursework (project 1) and the other 40% through the externally set examination assignment (project 2). At the end of the course pupils select work to be displayed in our exhibition space in the atrium to celebrate their achievements.

This course is an excellent springboard for A Level art and other courses such as photography and textiles.

It is useful for a whole host of careers but just some of these include advertising, architecture, photography, set design, costume design, interior design, ceramics, sculpture, painting, art history, product design, art therapy, graphic design, web design, app design, specialist art teaching, primary teaching, antiques dealing, gallery or museum curation, window dressing, make up art. The list goes on and on…!

The school is part of United Learning. United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12.
Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB. Tel: 01832 864 444

Financial Accountability and Freedom of Information
Website Terms, Cookies and Privacy

United Learning