Art

Art is an outstanding department at Morton Academy. It allows our students explore a wide range of materials, develop ideas and learn about the work of artists and craftspeople.

We have well-equipped open plan art rooms where we are proud to display so much of our students’ excellent work.

Who works in the Art Department?

Scott Winstanley – Head of Expressive Arts

Lisa Bewley – Vice Principal and Teacher of Art

Zoe Charlton – PT Art Technician

Julie Charlton – PT Art Technician

At Key Stage 3, students will study a range of genres and artists such as Picasso and Hundertwasser, as well as art from other cultures such as Aboriginal, Islamic and African art. Students work in sketchbooks to develop, experiment and plan ideas, then work toward a larger scale final outcome for each project.

Students will develop technical skills in drawing, painting, printmaking, ceramics and textiles all in preparation for the GCSE art course.

During the GCSE course, students will learn how to communicate in 2D and 3D art materials. Building on the skills learnt at Key Stage 3, they will experiment with a range of media including paint, Photoshop software, sculpture, printmaking and textiles. 

The course is split into three projects, including an externally set assignment and final exhibition.

Project 1 – Still life and Cubism

Project 2 – Natural forms

Project 3 – Externally set Examination Assignment

60% of the GCSE grade is assessed through coursework and the other 40% through the externally set examination assignment. At the end of the course all work is displayed in our exhibition space in the atrium to celebrate our students’ achievements.

This course is an excellent springboard for A Level art and other courses such as photography and textiles.

It is useful for a whole host of careers but just some of these include advertising, architecture, photography, set design, costume design, interior design, ceramics, sculpture, painting, art history, product design, art therapy, graphic design, web design, app design, specialist art teaching, primary teaching, antiques dealing, gallery or museum curation, window dressing. The list goes on and on…!

When researching the work of other artists, the following websites are useful;

Tate Gallery http://www.tate.org.uk/

National Gallery  http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/

British Museum   www.britishmuseum.org

Royal Academy of Arts https://www.royalacademy.org.uk

Victoria and Albert Museum www.vam.ac.uk

Institute of Contemporary Arts https://www.ica.org.uk/

 

To keep in touch with the art department and see our students' fabulous works follow us on

Twitter:  Morton Art @morton_art

Facebook: Morton Art Department

The school is part of United Learning. United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12.
Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB. Tel: 01832 864 444

United Learning